Sunday, April 4, 2010

Life: The Last Couple Months

Since Skyler posted earlier on school/grad school I thought it would be fun to update on what I've been up to the last couple of months. Work has been more busy than I could have imagined and I've definitely been getting my hours. I was told when I first started working that about every third year is a bad year for croup, bronchiolitis and viruses in general. This year was that year! Even though it was disappointing to see so many kids that were sick it was good to get more experience. Since not many people know what happens to sick kids at the hospital unless they have sick kids themselves it can be hard to explain. Although these aren't actual pictures from work it can give you a good idea.Until we figure out what type of illness a patient has or if it is contagious we have to wear isolation gowns like these which you can imagine are totally scary to anyone of a small age which usually causes screaming anytime we walk into the room.Most kids get an IV for some period of time with IV fluids if they are dehydrated and not eating. I've gotten so much better putting them in the last couple of months which can be a scary task when the kid is screaming, parents are frustrated, and the veins are so small and fragile because they are dehydrated that they immediately break with a needle poke. Usually when kids start feeling better they can become Houdini trying to break free of their cords and wires. I walked into a room because I heard banging in the hallway and found my 2 year old patient hitting his iv support against the crib trying to get rid of it in frustration.Another exciting part has been performing breathing treatments and suctioning. These can usually happen 2-3 times a shift and the nurses job is to try to hold the patient as still as possible while a long tube is passed in the nose and connected to suction. I can't count how many times I've been hit, kicked, and screamed at in the last 3 months. :)

The interesting thing about nursing is how the situation can change within minutes from manageable to scary. I can't count how many times I felt inspired to check on a patient or perform some task that maybe didn't seem necessary but ended up being beneficial. I've also learned how important it is to be in a position to receive inspiration even in the workplace. Many times the situation is beyond the control of the nurse or doctor and that is when prayer becomes the most important skill I've learned as a nurse.

No comments:

Post a Comment