Sunday, December 6, 2009

Power of the Wasatch















As the football season draws to a close, here is a little about my adventure as a Drum Major for the BYU Cougar Marching Band. This all began back in April as I considered my future with the Marching Band. This would be my 5th year in the Band. Two of which as a regular member, two as Saxophone Section Leader and this year an old dream of mine resurfaced. Back in high school I auditioned for Drum Major for my senior year but was passed by. As I considered my options I remembered how I always wanted to be Drum Major and the time seemed opportune to give it one more go. I got all the audition materials and did my best to prepare. Day of the auditions came and through it all, including some rather intense interviews, in the end I was proud to be one of the newest Drum Majors for the BYU Marching Band. This would be the first time in several years that there would be all male Drum Majors as well as some married Drum Majors. Thus began the exciting adventure of the 2009 Marching Band Season.

The months as Drum Major brought many challenges, new experiences and frustrations. Never have my arms been as tired and sore as the first week of band camp when we worked on two songs I was to conduct. We had to learn the marching drill and I was lucky enough to have to direct the whole time. I thought my arms were going to fall off. Luckily they didn't. The season had a lot in store for us. We did the most exciting show I have ever been a part of here at BYU. Great drill and great music, Malaguena and Spanish Fantasy. It made me a little jealous that I wasn't marching the drill.

We were also able to be part of some memorable events. As tragedy struck the American Fork marching band on a trip back from a competition in Idaho we were able to offer our solace with a rendition of Amazing Grace which we had prepared for a previous show. We were also given the honor of an invitation to perform in exhibition at Bands of American regional competition in St. George. That was a fun quick day trip on the bus and it brought back memories of competitions in high school.


















While we had a couple disappointments with the football team it was great to be part of another exciting nail-biter against Utah that ended in their defeat as Andrew George broke a tackle and ran in the winning touchdown in overtime. The year is coming to a close now with just a bowl game left against Oregon State in Las Vegas. It's time to show the Pac-10 again what we're made of. It will be a great close to a very exciting year as Drum Major of the BYU Cougar Marching Band. It has been a lot of fun to be up there directing the band and doing what I can to represent the university. I definitely have not done everything right and even got yelled at a few times by our director but it has been a great year. Being at the front of a 225 piece ensemble will always be one of the most exhilarating things I have ever done.

2 comments:

  1. Well said, Skyler! I am glad that you had such a great year. There is NOTHING in this world like being the DM for the Cougars. Way to rock it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MANY MANY! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I love reading about what you learned. Particularly, I know you did a phenomenal job! Hope your nostalgia is kind to you... ;P Walk tall!!!

    ~Alanna

    ReplyDelete